It’s official. For the fourth straight year, Saint Viator’s entire math team earned a berth to the state championship, hosted by the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics and taking place at the University of Illinois at Champaign.
Fittingly, the competition will place in the historic Altgeld Hall, home of the mathematics department, in the heart of the campus.
Saint Viator’s team advanced as a result of placing third at regionals, held Feb. 24 at Niles West High School, and finishing 7th overall in its division of 63 teams.
“The whole team worked hard all year to prepare for this competition, and we are looking forward to a strong performance at state,” says Mrs. Cheryl Nowak, who coaches the team along with Ms. Brigette Brankin and Fr. Arnold Perham, CSV.
In particular, she credited team captains Thomas Stanila and Marcus Lannie, with setting the bar for excellence.
“These two gentlemen worked very closely with Fr. Perham to prepare for the difficult oral event, and they did a fantastic job presenting during the regional competition,” Mrs. Nowak added. They follow in the footsteps of last year’s oralists, Orest Byskosh and Patrick Harris, who won the state title.
Here’s how Saint Viator’s team did it this year:
- The calculator team took first, paced by team members: Daniel Fecko. Marcus Lannie, Joanne Jun, and Thomas Stanila
- The oral team of Marcus Lannie and Thomas Stanila placed second
- The pre-calculus team took second, led by Yiran Liu (3rd)
- The algebra 2 team placed second led by Amy Gao (3rd)
- The frosh/soph 8-person team placed second. Team members include: May Liu, Nora Tang, Matthew Onischuk, Eric Ryu, Esther Moon, Juanxiang Tao and Elaine Lyu
- The junior/senior 2-person team also placed second, led by Hanger Yang and Tiffany Song
- May Liu took 3rd in algebra I
- Eric Ryu took 1st in geometry
Here are the rest of the team members who competed:
- Algebra 1 Team: May Liu, Nora Tang, Matthew Onischuk
- Geometry Team: Daniel Fecko, Eric Ryu, Esther Moon, Angel Cheng, Elaine Lyu and Jianxiang Tao
- Algebra 2 Team: Ella Shi, Amy Gao, Tiffany Song, Hanger Yang, Yiran Liu and Marcus Lannie
- Pre-Calculus Team: Thomas Stanila, Joanne Jun, Will Sheriff, Ben Rizner, Yiran Liu and Alice Wang
- Frosh/Soph 2 person team: Eric Ryu, Angel Cheng
- Junior/Senior 2 Person Team: Hanger Yang, Tiffany Song
- Junior/ Senior 8 Person Team: Ella Shi, Amy Gao, Alice Wang, Ben Rizner, Will Sheriff and Yiran Liu